John Andre

"As I suffer in the defence of my Country, I must consider this hour as the most glorious of my life -Remember that I die as becomes a British Officer, while the manner of my death must reflect disgrace on your Commander." 

WHO HE WAS: John Andre was to play a major role in Benedict Arnold's decision to become a traitor. He was born in 1750 in London. His parents were originally from France. He joined the military when he was twenty. Like most British soldiers, he would have been very loyal to King George. 

By the time that the Revolutionary War began, he had moved up through the ranks and was a major stationed in Philadelphia, which was occupied by the British. While there, he became friends with Benedict Arnold's wife, Peggy Shippen. At the time, Benedict Arnold was in charge of West Point in New York and was not happy with his role in the war. Through her connection between the two men, they hatched a plot where Benedict Arnold would give over control of West Point in return for money and a commission in the British army. The plan was foiled and Major Andre found himself behind enemy lines where he was captured and later executed.

He said the following right before his death. 

WHAT HE SAID: "As I suffer in the defence of my Country, I must consider this hour as the most glorious of my life -Remember that I die as becomes a British Officer, while the manner of my death must reflect disgrace on your Commander."

Popular Posts